Wednesday 5 April 2017

Mexico, Glitter, and Devotion

I’ve been meaning to write a quick or not-so-quick blog before I leave for my trip but time seems to be sliding through my fingers. I also, yet again, regrettably missed the anniversary of Ringleader of the Tormentors, which for some reason I perpetually think is in May, rather than April. Ringleader is a masterpiece album, perhaps my favourite of all time (although it is very hard to choose) - and one day I hope to write about it. As I haven’t even started packing, which is always a mountainous, monumental task (those who know me understand I usually attempt to stuff about 5 types of hairspray and makeup palettes into my suitcase). I will, for now leave you with a short but sparkly piece before I fly to the US this weekend.


Over the past week, updates from Mexico have been pouring in – and, watching the concert footage, you can see the absolute love radiating from the audience towards Morrissey. Mexico has missed him, and they love him dearly.  Audiences have showered Moz with gifts, flowers, and even the odd...black brassiere.  Judging by photos, outside the venues there appear to have been rather a lot of... bootleg merch stands that sell everything from leopard-print Morrissey baseball caps to baby bibs. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out and When Last I Spoke To Carol have been added to the setlist, and Shoplifters remains Trumpshifters, complete with the band donning “Fuck Trump” t-shirts.


Fuck Trump: photo via @conciertosGDL on Twitter

The world is full of crashing bras: screencapped from ILOVEMORRISSEY on YT

Musicians have an outlet for expression regarding politics, animal rights, human rights, the state of the music industry or media, and through this expression we see the importance art - and the artist - hold for social progress and movement of ideas. In a sense, popular music has deteriorated into mass-produced mannequins as the 1960’s rights movements music of Dylan and Sainte-Marie has shifted into pretty vacant Spears': “we should just trust our president in every decision he makes” mindlessness. Perhaps this is an unfair comparison, as folk rock isn't dance pop - but the overall decay of meaningfulness in music is a concern.

Are people afraid to have views? Are they afraid of backlash for voicing any sort of opinion?  I don’t think it is always an easy ride if you do speak your mind – and yet – for integrity’s sake and for art’s sake – authenticity strikes much more powerful chords.

But for now, let me ease up the political discussion... and segue clumsily into the topic of fashion - because - if you were glued to concert updates and a big glass (bottle) of wine like I was on Friday, you couldn't have missed the dazzling, dashing sparkly jacket Moz wore in Mexico City. The last time we saw Morrissey on stage looking so glittery was in Bergen last year, where he wore a breathtaking sparkly cardigan (my heart skips a beat).  


Photo via @Notimex on Twitter

Of course it wasn't long until this triggered the idea of a quick yet oh-so-important fashion poll asking for your Favourite Moz jacket look. As usual, we were limited to 4 categories so I chose:

Sparkly (if you're wondering, Moz has worn a sparkly jacket at least once before)
Checkered
Denim
and -
Classic Black or Tux.


Sparkly jacket from the past


Sparkling in CDMX - photo via wantingwavestv on Instagram


Checkered - a weakness of mine!


Denim


Classic black and Tux



After a nail-biting 24 hours of polling, with 70 votes, the breakdown was: in 4th place: checkered - with 19% of the votes, in 3rd place: denim - with 20% of the votes, the rarely-occurring yet breathtaking sparkly came 2nd with 27% of the votes, and classic black or tux took first prize with 34% of votes.





Speaking of tuxes, a number of rare photos of Morrissey in Rome by Fabio Lovino were released online a few weeks back - which was pretty great timing for the anniversary of Ringleader of the Tormentors.

By Fabio Lovino


And now I'm off to continue getting ready for my travels. I'll leave you with this montage of 3 Morrissey audiences: Manchester in 2016, London in 2014, and Mexico City in 2017... and yet - no record deal for an artist that inspires such devotion?






We luff you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment