Thursday 26 May 2016

A Dozen Years of Quarry and a Fashionable Mystery

The third week of May is quite exciting if you happen to be a fan of Morrissey, because it marks both the release anniversary of You Are The Quarry, on May 17th (2004), and his birthday, on May 22nd (1959).  I personally get FAR more excited and emotional for Mozza's birthday than my own!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY MORRISSEY!

As I missed the 10th anniversary of Ringleader, I decided well in advance I wanted to write a blog post about You Are The Quarry.  I am, of course, woefully behind in writing this - more than a week - so I guess realistically I could have written the other article also, but... I'll just have to save that for another time. Additionally, I was also going to attempt baking a vegan cake for the first time for Moz's birthday, and am now a week behind on that as well...but enough about my many states of disorganization, let's get on to talking about this masterpiece album.

Morrissey's 7th solo album

Getting back to Quarry, I thought I would make a poll asking my Twitter followers what their favourite track is on the album.  Admittedly, this is a difficult question, as there are so many brilliant songs - and, just as we often struggle choosing a favourite Morrissey or Smiths album, we also struggle to choose which song we like best.  Some said it was an impossible task, but - often the song that strikes us at any given time might be the one that matches our current mood or state in life, and in that sense our choice could be somewhat more fluid, being influenced by that.  However, it's still a bit daunting to decide.  Dare we commit to such a choice? Well, 24 people were able to overcome the rigors of indecision, and the results were as follows:




Our results, this time, were not frustratingly inconclusive, with 42% of the votes going to The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores, Other (which constituted the write in votes) came in next at 29%, followed by First Of The Gang To Die at 21%, and Let Me Kiss You at 8%.

Morrissey's favourite lyrics are from Crashing Bores also


Write in votes (for Other) were as follows:

Come Back To Camden (4 votes)
I Have Forgiven Jesus (2 votes)
All The Lazy Dykes (1 vote)
I'm Not Sorry (1 vote)

As I want to create a video countdown for this, I now realize I will have to attempt to do math (which I'm not the greatest at).... So I believe that this puts Camden in 3rd place, then I Have Forgiven Jesus is tied with Let Me Kiss You in 4th?  Lazy Dykes and I'm Not Sorry, are tied with one vote each.


YOU ARE THE QUARRY LIVE VIDEO COUNTDOWN:

(I decided to choose a live video for each of the 7 songs that you voted for and countdown by order of votes):


7. I'm Not Sorry: From Morrissey's birthday concert in 2004 in Manchester:




"It's all a game
existence is only a game"


6. All The Lazy Dykes: From Morrissey's most recent concert in Las Vegas, 2016 (featuring a backdrop of Gertude Stein):




"And when you talk to me -
you actually see me"


5. I Have Forgiven Jesus: From Santa Ana, California, 2014:




"I carried my heart in my hand
do you understand?
do you understand?"


4. Let Me Kiss You: Benicassim, 2006:




"Would you let me cry
on your shoulder
I've heard that you'll try anything twice"



3.  Come Back To Camden: London, 2011: The most popular write-in vote:




"Here you'll find 
despair and I"


2. First Of The Gang To Die: Troutdale, Oregon, 2015:




"You have never been in love
until you've seen the stars
reflect in the reservoirs"


1. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores: Buenos Aires, 2015:




"What really lies
beyond the constraints of my mind?"



Honourable Mention: (Morrissey's interview for You Are The Quarry on Jonathan Ross, 2004)



Which, of course, features this timeless and beloved moment:




Before I drift off into desperately hoping for tour date announcements, or obsessively wondering about the List of The Lost audiobook, I thought I'd add the results to one more poll I created last week. As most of you know, some photos of Morrissey leaving LAX surfaced the other week (paparazzi ones, which admittedly always make me feel a little weird). There was also a video, which included the clickety-clacking chorus of camera shutters, as the people who make a living snapping photos of others followed Moz through the airport entrance. I often wonder if fame feels a little bizarre, but this is of course, because, in spite of my rather tangential and vivid imagination, I cannot exactly imagine such a feeling.  Does one ever get used to it? Perhaps it is always a little surreal....? Oh Los Angeles, so much to answer for. Paparazzi also asked Moz about Rustle's cat, who he named after Morrissey:


Rustle and Morrissey the cat-cat

Moz the human-cat


A little guiltily and voyeuristically (is that a word?) I perused the photos, noticing that Morrissey (back to the human-cat now, not the cat-cat) was carrying what I simply assumed to be a jacket.  However, some on Twitter were calling it a cardigan.  As we all know, I have a thing for cardigans, and my ears perked up at this.  I re-examined the photo and it did look a little sweater-y.  Some friends and I began to wonder if the best explanation was that it was a " jackety-type cardigan" or, "jardigan."  


Mozza holding the jacket/cardigan/jardigan


This inspired me to create a poll of immense importance, asking my followers what exactly they believed this charming layering item to be:



With an astonishing 33 votes, here are the poll results:
Jacket still won out, with 67% of the votes.  
In second place, the newly-coined Jardigan, with 24% of the votes, and...
In 3rd place, which included a vote from the delightful Mademoiselle, we have cardigan, with 9% of the votes. 

Selfishly, I was really hoping for cardigan or jardigan to win... sigh x 67.... but at least I created a whirlwind of confusion for some of my Twitter friends who initially believed the clothing item to be a jacket.  Confusion doesn't sound quite glamorous enough; let's call it a fashionable mystery.

Pete Doherty was also spotted outside Salford Lads Club wearing a similar jardigan-like item.  Perhaps jardigans will be the next big thing; I sure hope so.

Doherty at Salford Lads Club


Here are a few other cardigan photos that have recently been brought to my attention (in fact, just since the jardigan appeared):






Now if I can only put my vegan-cake baking skills into action.


No comments:

Post a Comment